Here you will find images and links to information about our local towns and villages.
The town of Hartland is remote but not without charm and has many craft shops and potteries in addition to cafés and restaurants. There is a long main street, with cottages either side, leading to the town square and the church of St John. This church was built in the first half of the 19th century to save the locals the long journey out to the former parish church at Stoke. St John’s Church was built on the site of the old town hall of which only the 17th century clock remains.
Set into a steep hillside, Clovelly is one of the best known and most unusual villages in the North Devon. The cobbled high street winds its way down the hillside through traditional 16th century whitewashed cottages decked with fuchsias and geraniums. This street drops 400ft in the half mile down to the small harbour. The picture postcard village is still a living village, where fishermen still mend their nets on the quay.
Bideford is an attractive town on the west bank of the River Torridge, where the river begins to widen to form the estuary. The old road has a lovely old bridge crossing the Torridge linking the town of Bideford to its neighbouring village East the Water. This impressive, arched stone bridge was built in 1535. The original bridge was built from timber in 1300, and was replaced by a stone bridge in the 15th century. Various adaptations have been made to the bridge throughout the intervening years.
Bude is Cornwall's most northern town and has been a popular seaside resort from Victorian times. In the l9th Century, the town was notorious for wreckers who plundered ship wrecked off the coast - over 80 vessels in the fifty year up to 1874.
Bude has some good surfing beaches and was the site of the first life Saving Club.
The largest town in North Devon is Barnstaple on the River Taw. This ancient town was granted its charter in 930 AD by King Aethelstan - the grandson of Alfred the Great. The town was a prosperous place in the past, at one time a major port particularly for the American trade. It remains a thriving market town with a traditional Pannier Market.
Great Torrington is an historic market town in the heart of Devon. The town commands spectacular views over the River Torridge and the surrounding farmland. It is a pleasant little town built round the Market Square where there is a refurbished Victorian Pannier Market. This undercover market houses a variety of interesting shops and stalls selling local produce.
Okehampton sits at the centre of Devon, where the gentle rolling hills of North Devon meet the stark scenery of the Dartmoor National Park. The high peaks of Yes Tor and High Willhayes can be seen on the horizon on a clear day. Okehampton is an attractive town that provides a good centre for those wishing to explore the different facets of the Devon countryside.
Tiverton is a busy market town situated in the middle of Devon and a convenient centre for both coasts, the moors and the cities of Exeter and Plymouth. The name was originally Twyfyrde, meaning town of two fords, and Tiverton stands on two rivers - the Lowman and the Exe. It was thought to have been a Saxon settlement founded in the 7th century.
Ilfracombe is the leading holiday resort in North Devon. It sits snugly amongst the rugged cliffs of the Atlantic coast, and has a charming natural harbour and elegant Victorian architecture. The town enjoyed its heyday after the arrival of the railway and most buildings derive from this period. The natural harbour is set among spectacular cliffs and coves.
Exeter is situated on the River Exe and is the capital city or county town of Devon. The city has lots of character and historic buildings, but is still able to offer all the amenities and comforts that would be expected of a modern day city. St Peters Cathedral dominates the city skyline. The Normans built the cathedral early in the twelfth century.
This page was built with Mobirise